(Tu.2) Rifredo – the little Tuscany village which became a part of the Italian Renaissance.
Well to be more precise the Renaissance meant more to Rifredo than Rifredo did for the renaissance. Like most villages in Europe Rifredo was owned by a local landlord living in the castle next to the village.
The first documented memory dates back to 955 AD in a selling contract of Castle and properties from one Longobard Lord to another.
The castle belonged to the hostile Family Ubaldini until finally defeated by Florence military. In 1361 The Florence Republic closed down the old road and made a new one connecting Scarperia and Firenzuola – two strongholds built by Florence. That meant literally that Rifredo came on the map – now located at the road between Florence and Bologna. The dramatic history about how that happened to be told here.